The bilio pancreatic diversion by Scopinaro is based on the same principals as the duodenal switch. However, in this case by removing the stomach (1) and the pylorus, a higherprevalence of dumping syndrome and other secundary effects is possible.
The procedure can be performed by laparoscopy but is still a challanging procedure.
- The procedure take around 4 hours
- The immediate post-operative complications are the same as in the gastric bypass
- The malabsorption is responsible for the late complications such as:
- Malnutrition: the shorter the bypass is, the more fat is lost with the faeces (and thus calories) and more risk on nutrtional deficiency (as with vitamins A,D, E and Calclium). Symptoms such as fatigue, hairloss and swollen ankles can occur.
- Deshydratation: can be of consequence of the diarrhea as inadequate drinking
- Dumping syndrome only in the Scopinaro procedure.
The efficiency of the bilio pancreatic procedure is equal to the gastric bypass (a 60 to 80 % of excess weight loss after 5 years). This procedure should be the first choice for hyper-obese patients (BMI>55).